Wednesday 19 September 2018

Day in Lucerne

On Tuesday Mary is going on a tour of Zurich and to Heidiland. I have decided to go to Lucerne. We both take the train in to Zurich and we part company at the train station.  I hop the train to Lucerne and end up talking to an interesting man originally from the States but is living in Newcastle in the UK.  He is well travelled and knows a lot about Zurich and Lucerne which he shares with me.  The 45 minute journey flies by and it’s time to disembark.  It’s started to rain and this is something I hadn’t even considered and am totally unprepared.  It was clear in Zurich when I left.  I make my way to a cafe and decide to have coffee and a pastry and wait out the rain.

The station in Lucerne. 

There is a farmers market happening and the produce looks great



It’s a very pretty city.  This is Chapel Bridge constructed in the first half of the 14th century.

Inside the roof are painted panels which were added in the 17th century.

I climb a tower (120 stairs) and am rewarded with this beautiful view of the city.

Yup...I was way up at the top.  This is the Musegg Wall.  It has nine towers and it forms part of Lucerne’s historic fortifications.

Beautiful murals on the buildings



I then decide to take a boat ride on Lucerne Lake and get off at Weggis.  It’s just a short wait before I get back on for the ride back to Lucerne.

It’s a beautiful lake with several small villages along its shores.

Pretty comfortable boat!



And then being the small world that it is who do I meet while waiting to board the boat back to Lucerne but Coralie!  Coralie was at Laubach in our group of volunteers doing Englishhaussen.  Amazing!












No comments:

Post a Comment