Thursday 1 September 2016

Good bye Sevilla, hello Lagos!

I checked out of the San Gil in Sevilla and took a taxi to the bus station.  I had really started to feel comfortable after five days in Sevilla so that made it more difficult leaving.
My bus departed on time at 12 noon.  It takes approx. 4 hours because we stop at Faro, the airport at Faro, Albufeira and Portimao before finally arriving at Lagos.
  I must say I do get stressed when making these changes. A large part is the language.  The bus driver was speaking Portuguese (I think) and so when we stopped in Faro I sort of got the drift we could use the bathroom but he was only waiting 5 minutes!  Okay when you're travelling on your own there is no one to tell him I'm not back yet and please don't leave without me.  Also do you take your belongings with you or trust that they will be okay left on the bus and you will make it back in time.  I couldn't help it and visions of me coming out of the bathroom and seeing my bus disappearing around the corner with all my stuff on board gave me a case of the nerves.  Anyhow all for not because I did make it to Lagos but then again you get dropped off and I'm supposed to contact the fellow who runs the guesthouse because he doesn't live there.  Thank heaven I got a roaming package for my phone because I have had to use it several times.  That's another stress item....is that roaming package really working?  Or will I owe thousands to Telus when I return home???  Never done this roaming package thing before....anyhow I do get hold of him and he says he's waiting for me so I say should I take a taxi?  He says well you could walk.  It's not far but I have no idea which direction so I say I'll take a cab....but there aren't any!  There's a large area marked taxi but not a one in sight.  I go over to the bus station office and wait in line to ask about the taxi and the very nice man who can speak English just says to wait...they'll come eventually or I can walk to the centre where there are lots of cabs....but where is the centre!!!  A few minutes later a cab appears....yeah!  He very slowly gets out of the cab and opens the trunk.  He stands there and waits while I LIFT MY SUITCASE into the trunk muttering under my breath "no tip for you buddy!".  I pay 6€ to go like 4 blocks....hmmmmm.
Enough complaining but I want you to get the idea that travelling isn't always a bowl of cherries.  It's stressful and getting more that way as I get older :(. I think it might be more organized tours for me in the future.  Someone else to handle the luggage, deal with language problems and make all the arrangements.  Just tell me where to turn up and pay my money.  That might be the way to go in the future.
Well the beaches here are stunning.  I'm going to kick back for the next two days and hopefully do nothing but relax...that's right after I figure out how to get a train ticket to my next destination, Evora, on Sunday!


 

1 comment:

  1. That brought back lots of memories- we also stopped in those bus stops and Joe went to use the bathroom and said it was so bad he would wait. The language barrier is scary. Do you have google translator now? Paula

    ReplyDelete