Saturday 3 September 2016

Last day in Lagos...

I had originally thought I would spend my last day in Lagos on the beach, reading and relaxing.  Sounded good but I know that I couldn't do that for a whole day so I decide to take a day trip to Sagre.  Sagre is as far as you can go on the Algarve.  It's the furthest southwest tip of Spain.
I didn't want to rush in the morning so the bus I could catch was the 10:45.  7.50€ return.  As soon as I get on the bus I realize there is no air conditioning!  The windows don't even open.  Thank heaven I have my fan but all I could think about was dogs left in a car in the sun without the windows down.  That was me....I was determined I was going to die of heat exhaustion.  The locals on the bus don't even break a sweat....some are even wearing jeans!!  Now the tourists on the bus are covered in sweat with a slight dazed and confused expression on their faces.  An hour later we arrive in Sagres.  Whew!  Made it.
Now there is not a whole lot to this little town.  Perhaps at one time it might have boomed but I'm sure not seeing it.  It's so hot out and there is no shade....just kinda flat and dry.  Now you are perched up high overlooking endless ocean but unless I can find a patio with shade and a cold beer I'm not really enjoying the view.  Enter the Tuk Tuk man, Rui.
 He's trying to sell a tour of Sagres in his electric Tuk Tuk.  No one is interested but I listen to him.  He's desperate so he offers me a tour for 15€.  At this point I think that is good because the idea of walking around in the blazing heat is not really appealing.  Now I should add that there are some magnificent beaches here and surfing is popular but to get to the beaches you have to climb down quite a ways and I wasn't prepared for that. At any rate Rui and I head off.  It's quite pleasant in the Tuk Tuk.  Rui grew up in Sagre so he points out where he used to live, go to school, etc.  The great advantage is he takes me all the way to the lighthouse.  
Now unless you've got a car there is no way I could have got out there.  It's really quite neat.  The weather really changes and becomes quite cool.. Lovely!  After 1 hr. 15 mins. I bid Rui a farewell and wish him well with his business.  During my tour I learn that he has just been in business for 2 weeks!  He's got lots of determination.
He recommends a place to eat if you fancy good fish.  I go there and have the best fresh fish ever.  Great meal.
 Then I move two doors down and try a well known Portugese desert which is a pastry filled with custard.  Really tasty.
I then decide to walk out to the fort which sits on the bluff.
  It looks interesting but I'm a little concerned about walking there as there  is no one walking there.  That should tell you something but I figure I can do it.  I've got a large bottle of water and my hat on.  It's like crossing the Sahara.  I make it and it costs 3€ to get in.  I pay and go in.....there is nothing of interest in there!  A small church is all.  The whole fort has been 'restored' and it looks like they've just built it.  So disappointing.  The high light is I see there is a return bus due in five minutes so I'm on it.  It's air conditioned!!! Wow!  My lucky day.
Back in Lagos I sit and enjoy a cold beer and then head 'home'.  I was going to go for a dinner of famous sardines at a local restaurant quite close to me but find that the outdoor tables are reserved and it looks like it's going to be a packed Saturday night.  I decide to just get packed as I'm leaving on the 6:16 am train to Evora.

No comments:

Post a Comment