Wednesday 7 September 2016

More touring

This morning I am trying the other line of the Hop On, Hop Off.  It takes me to the eastern part of Lisboa which is more modern.  This is where they had their Expo and have some incredible buildings.  Very modern and nice looking.  Architecture is amazing.  Huge shopping mall and lots of stores.  There is a long stretch of beach up this way as well.  When we were headed along the shore I learned that the bridge that crosses the river is 17 kms long!  This was the bridge we came in on when I arrived from Evora.  Quite an engineering feat.
I have lunch at the beach at an Irish pub and then head back to the heart of Lisboa.  I'm starting to get tired of touring.  I'm tired of the crowds of tourists and all the noise.  At least it's cooled off and is quite comfortable.  I get off the bus at one of their beautiful parks overlooking the city.  It's nice to have some space.
  I then decide to catch another bus and go to the Bairro Alto area.  I wait for an hour and no bus comes so I decide to walk back to the hotel.  It's not as far as I thought.  When you're on the bus they're stuck in traffic so often that it feels longer.  On the way back I pop into El Corte De Inglis (big department store) to check it out.  They have an amazing grocery store and deli.  Good place to pick up something to eat but I'm not in the mood.
I get back, shower and rest a bit and then decide to take the metro to Bairro Alto for some dinner.  When I get off the metro I see there is a funicular and this is how I get up to Bairro Alto.  Didn't know that before so it's just a bonus.  Luckily I had put some money on my metro card so I could use it for the funicular.  Up we go.  
Check out the view which is quite spectacular and wander a couple of streets looking for a dinner option.
Found one and ordered prawn curry, small salad and of course red wine.  The restaurant is filling up fast.  I'm glad I came when I did. 
Back down on the funicular and I'm thinking I can do this!  The metro is right at the end of the funicular so easy right?  There is a gate closing the metro entrance?  A sign says it closes at 21:30!  Who figured?  Now what?  There must be another metro entrance but everything looks different at night.  After walking a bit I find another one but it's closed too!  Am I going to have to take taxi?  I ask a lady who's walking her dog and she thinks if I just walk further I'll find one and presto!  I do.  Whew!  Home again safe and sound.  Time to turn in because tomorrow I'm getting picked up at 9 am for a tour of Sintra and Cascais.  I jammed out and treated myself.  I'm tired of planning...I'll let someone else do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment