Monday 5 September 2016

Monday...it must be Lisbon!

Or Lisboa as it is called.  I had decided to leave Evora while it was still reasonably cool.  They said it was only a 15 minute walk to the bus station so how could I take a cab?  Well I think next time I might.  You know when someone says "Oh, it's just down there, left at the gas station"?  Well it seems that signage isn't important here and if you're driving it's not a biggie to go around the block or a couple of blocks out of your way but when you're pulling 'Monster' (my now named too big and heavy suitcase) over cobblestones in hot weather it is a big deal.  Anyhow enough whining...when I arrived at the bus station I instantly turn into this attractive beat red, sweat dripping off the end of my nose sixty something old bag.  I'm huffing and puffing and not doing a very good job of trying to portray an adventurous, hip, slightly senior world traveller.  I envy these young kids with the back pack, cool clothes and flip flops!  Really? Who can travel in flip flops?  Don't they need arch support too?
Anyhow, I'm on the air conditioned bus for two hours so I enjoy the rest.  We arrive into Lisbon at 11:30 am so it gives me the whole afternoon to get orientated and settled.
As we cross the Vasco Da Gama bridge (which is 17 kms long) I notice these fisherman in those tube things (I think called belly boats?) way out from shore.  It looked so strange.
  I'm staying at the Ibis which is close to a train/metro station which is handy but there's not much in this neighbourhood.  A lot of hotels.  I get as much information from the girl at the hotel with regards to forming some sort of plan for the next few days.  I then decide to go walking to try and get my bearings...ha!  I do find a Starbucks and a El Corte Inglis which is a great store including a large grocery department.  I then realize I haven't eaten much so stop in at this small place and just point to something that looks like pastry.  Turns out its ham and cheese turnover.  Quite tasty.  I also noted a funky little restaurant that I thought I'd try for dinner later but when I googled it, it was closed today.  Oh well, maybe another night.
I then decide to try out the metro and go the the centre.  Wasn't too difficult and spoke to a young woman who was very informative of what I should see.  She said she worked at a hostel so was used to directing people.  I get to the centre and start walking around.  It's so busy! 
 
Can't imagine what July and August must be like.  I tried to take the old tram but it was full and there was a wait.  Perhaps another day.  I would like to do that.  I end up heading back to the hotel.  I'm pooped.  I stop for a beer in the hotel restaurant and then up to my room.  Ah, a shower!   Wonderful!  Tomorrow I tackle the hop on, hop off bus after trying the buffet breakfast at the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment