Sunday 4 September 2016

Sunday...time to leave Lagos

Well it's 5 am and I'm getting ready to catch the 6:13 am train out of Lagos.  It's already 24 degrees as I head down to the train station.  It's only a 15 minute walk so I refuse to take taxi (not that I'd find one at this hour).  The problem are the cobblestones.  It's so hard to pull a rolling suitcase over cobblestones.  I just pray the wheels on my bag don't break.
I make it and off we go.  First transfer is at Tunes where there is about a 20 minute wait for the next train.  Then I have to transfer again at Pinhal Nova where I have an hour's wait.  Plan was to buy some breakfast while I am waiting.  NOT!  There is nothing open.  Maybe because it's Sunday or perhaps it's just too early but at any rate no breakie!  So I dig in my bag and I've got some hard boiled eggs, strawberries, potatoe chips and a container of plain yogurt.  No spoon though.  So I improvise.  I've got my Swiss army knife so I spear the strawberries and dip in the yogurt.  Heh! It works.  Just glad no one is around to see.
When I arrive at Evora at 11:30 I figure I can walk to the hotel.  It's not far but again those cobblestones.  They're on the street and sidewalks so there's no escaping them.  The hotel informs me they have my room ready.  Bonus.  Didn't expect that.
Great place with a large pool.  That will feel so good later.
I head in to town to get something to eat.  This is an incredible little medieval town.  It's been declared UNESCO and is in amazing shape.  Dates back to Roman times.  There are some incredible buildings and ruins here. 
 
I manage to go to the Evora museum before it closed as it's closed Monday.  This was the only chance.  Wandered around.  There is so much to see but it's just too hot.  I head back to the hotel to cool off in the pool.
 
Tonight I have dinner at the hotel as I'm just too tired to walk back to the old town tonight.  Perhaps tomorrow before I head off to Lisbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment