Saturday 10 September 2016

Getting to Sitges...

Well my day started out okay however when you have to check out of your hotel and your flight isn't until 3:30 it leaves you with time to fill but not enough to really do anything.  Once you've got your suitcase in tow it really limits what you can do.
I decide to head to the airport as I'm taking the metro.  This was so I can take my time.  I walk to the larger metro station because they have escalators there....or so I thought.  Why is it that they tease you with escalators in the beginning and then once you are in the bowels of the metro there are stairs!  And lots of them.  More reason to get back to the gym when I get home.
I get to the airport at 11:30.  I can't even check in until 1:30 so I continue to tow around my suitcase.  I find Starbucks and hunker down with my book. Just when I'm leaving I hear my name!  Really?  Who knows me here?  Well it's my three German lady friends that I went on the tour with yesterday.  They are just arriving to wait for their flights get home.  It was great to see them.
I'm finally on my two hour flight to Barcelona.
 One hour time difference so I am later than anticipated.  I find where to catch the MonBus and wait for the next one at 7:50 pm.  7€ and I'm on my way.  It takes about 30 minutes but then I discover there are more than one stop in Sitges and I have no idea which one.  I tell these men the address of where I'm going and they share with the bus driver.  It seems like there are way less people who speak English here.  The bus drops me off and I'm lost.  I'm am supposed to hail a taxi.  No taxis in sight.  I consider walking but my GPS says 30 minutes and it's now dark.  What to do?  I ask this couple and through sign language ? They have me follow them into town where they say there are taxis.  Yes!  I get there and there must be four or five taxis but no drivers!  Is this a nightmare?  I walk a little and ask this woman and she says she will call the taxi number for me as I don't know how to say where I am.  She then tells me the taxi is not allowed to come???  She says best to go to the train station as there are taxis there.  I walk there and yes there are taxis.  They are soooo....busy that I have to wait...the taxi driver assures me one will come. By this time I am ready to jump in front of anything resembling a cab.  It is 9:30.  I am hungry and thirsty.  I consider just going to a restaurant and having dinner with a HUGE glass of vino but then realize that would not be the smartest move as I still have to check in and find my way to an apartment.  I need all my faculties.
I explain to the taxi driver that I need him to take me to the hotel, wait for me while I check in and then take me to the apartment.  I don't even finish explaining when he rudely says no.  He will only take me to the hotel.  He will not wait.  He just about throws me out of the taxi when we get to the hotel.  Leaves my bag in the road.  No tip for him!
I register and they want full payment now so it all has to go on my credit card.  I'll settle with Cathryn and Gayle later.  I am thinking I will walk to this apartment but the desk clerk tells me this lady has offered to drive me.  She works at the market there.  Bonus!  The clerk describes the keys and how to access the apartment.  It's like 'put the key in, push a black button, turn the key and the door with unlock for 5 seconds'. WHAT!
Anyhow this woman gives me a ride but she really has no idea where it is.  We get lost.  She means well but I think if I'd walked I would have found it.  I've got my GPS out.  She is stopping people in the street to ask.  I feel bad for her.  She probably just wanted to go home.
We finally find it and she leaves.  Now the key thing...after several attempts and a lot of cursing I am in!  I have never been so close to tears through total frustration.  I dump my suitcase and head off for something to eat and drink.  Luckily I find that just 10 mins. away and start to relax. 
 I'm right on the ocean.
 I have a salad, calamari and white wine....ahhh...!

When I return I cannot get the air conditioning to work.  I've tried everything and it's hot and humid. I phone the hotel and they say they will send someone.  This is good cause it's after midnight.  He arrives and if you can believe it the breaker is off!  I never thought to check that!  Air is on and it's starting to cool. Off to bed.  It's after 1 am.
Now at 2:30 am I get woken up suddenly by a large bang.  What was that?  Thunder!  Fork lightening and torrential rain!  WTF!  And on it goes...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment