Thursday 8 September 2016

Last day in Lisboa

Today I treated myself to a tour.  I'm tired of having to figure out how to get somewhere and thought it would be nice to be taken somewhere...someone else do the planning!  It turned out to be an excellent choice.
I decide to go to Sintra and Cascais just outside Lisboa.  I'm picked up at the hotel just after 9 am by my driver/tour guide Tiago.  There can be up to seven people on this tour but there are only three other women in the van.  Bonus!  No couples.  These ladies are from Germany on a short vacation.  They speak English a bit so hopefully will understand the tour guide.  He does not speak German and the tour is in English.  We head off to Sintra. 
A beautiful town in the hills.
  We spend an hour looking around the town and purchasing our tickets to the Pena Palace.  Then Tiago drives us to the entrance of the Pena Park where we catch the shuttle bus that takes us up to the palace.  Lots of people walk but it's quite a hike and takes quite a while.  The shuttle is only 3€ and well worth it.
This Palace is amazing.
Originally there was a convent on the site.  This was where women would be sent as punishment if they refused to marry the person that was selected for them.  After the devastating earthquake of 1755 there was only ruins left of the convent.  The King had the palace built as a gift to his wife.  This palace has breathtaking views from all rooms.  It was amazing.
They are doing some restoration so not all was available to view.  The gardens belonging to the palace are equally amazing and also are undergoing some restorative work.  The Sintra hills were declared a UNESCO site in1995.
We then meet up with Tiago who takes us to an authentic Portugese restaurant for lunch.  The decor is quite nice but the food is very heavy on the olive oil.  The portions are large.  I have roast lamb, one lady has chicken and the other two have cod.  All in all lunch was a bit of a disappointment.  I do manage to have a couple of glass of wine which helped.
From there we go to Cabo da Roca where there is a lighthouse.  This is the furthest point west in Portugal.  Very windy but beautiful.
We then carry on to Rocha Do Inferno which I'm sure is more impressive when the sea is stormy because not much is happening.  It's kind of a big indentation in the shore where the water rushes in.
The water along this coast is very rough.  It's used for extreme sports such as surfing, wind surfing, etc.  Not a swimming beach...and the water is cold!
We then drive on to Cascais.  Cute small town.  Reminds me of Monaco.  I think there is money here.  We dip our toes in the water and then get some gelato.  We just soak up the sun.  Feels good.  Not too hot which is great.
This is one of those self cleaning toilets.  This particular one worked well and I mastered using it.  Much better than the mishap that happened to Wendy in Italy. :)
 
It's time to head back to Lisboa.  We're done for the day.  We drop off the ladies from Germany and then Tiago drops me at my hotel.
I have a bite to eat in the hotel restaurant and then go to bed.  Tomorrow I pack up and head to Barcelona.  Soon I will be meeting up with Cathryn and Gayle.

No comments:

Post a Comment