Tuesday 2 October 2018

Off to Bern

Today I get my chores done early as I am catching the bus to Aarberg where I transfer to another bus that takes be to Lyss where I catch a train to Bern.  Sounds daunting doesn’t it and yet in Switzerland everything is precise and runs like clock work.  I was in Bern in less that an hour and after visiting Tourist Information right at the train station I decide to take a walking tour of Bern Old Town.

The train station.

This is a huge roof that protects people from the elements while waiting for buses.  It seems that all bus stops have nice shelters and there are even shelters for your bicycle.  Very civilized.

There is a market taking place.  Apparently almost every morning there is a market.  Not just on Saturdays!

These fountains are everywhere.  There is potable water at every fountain.  Just help yourself.

Game of chess.

Great architecture. Almost all buildings are made of sandstone after a fire significantly damaged the town.

These cellar doors line the main streets as a form of shelter in case of a major fire again.  They were stocked with wine, vegetables and fruit.

The Clock Tower is a very famous landmark.  We actually witnessed 12 noon where the clock chimes and these figures come out.

These are the figures as the clock chimes 12 noon.









No comments:

Post a Comment