Friday 12 October 2018

Basel

On Thursday I decide at the last moment to go to Basel.  I’ll be leaving Switzerland on Saturday so it’s my last chance for a day trip.  This one is easy.  Bus to Biel and then train to Basel.  When I arrive I realize that Basel is much larger than I assumed.

I head off from the train station just following my instincts which luckily were bang on the money.  I’m heading to the historic part of town.

Heading down a pedestrian only street I pass these street musicians.  They were really good.

Then I spot this beautiful church.  It’s the Basel Minster.  Built out of red sandstone between 1019 and 1500.

The interior is beautiful.

As I go down in to the crypt I notice several paintings on the ceiling.

Behind the cathedral and piazza is the Rhine River.



The fall colours are showing in the piazza.

These buildings date between 1400 and 1500.

Lovely fountain.

I cross over the bridge to the other side of the Rhine.

A nice footpath along the River where several people stop to eat their lunch.  I grab something at the Coop and join in.

Looking back from where I’ve been.

As I take the tram back to the train station I pass through a piazza that I missed in my wandering.  Looks like a marketplace but the building is amazing.

A quick ride on the tram brings me back to the train station where I catch my ride home.  Another wonderful day.















No comments:

Post a Comment