Saturday 6 October 2018

Back to Solothurn

I so enjoyed Solothurn however when I was there previously it was cold and windy.  There was an exhibition on so you really couldn’t see the town so back I went. 

It’s beautiful today.  Warm and sunny as I cross the bridge over to the Old Town.

Inside St. Urs Cathedral.  Gorgeous!

I decide to scale the tower. 240 steps and they have the nerve to charge 3 francs once you get to the top before you can go outside and see the view.  I told the girl that they should pay me for climbing 240 steps.

Half way up you pass this bell.  Glad I was done before it struck noon.

The view was worth every franc!



I exit the gate from the Old Town and head off to find the Gorge of St. Verena.

It’s also called Einsiedelei or hermitage.  I have a map but at one point I asked for directions from some very nice people in the park.  Glad they were there.  I was a wee bit off track.

Walking through the forest is beautiful. The path is well maintained.  Feels like walking in Lynn Valley but here you don’t have to keep your eye out for cougar and bear.  Much more peaceful.

This is known as a place of power.  
There inscriptions along the way.
After about 20 minutes you come to the gorge.  The man watering the garden looked so much like a monk in residence that I thought perhaps he was an actor.  Nope.  Just looking after the place.

The chapel is built right into the rock face.



Apparently the monks lived at the gorge.  It was a very serene place.

It was a lovely walk back to the Old Town.  I stopped for lunch (pasta and a beer) at an outdoor cafe by the clock tower.

My last stop was at this really cool LEGO store to pick up some Ninja warriors for the grandkids.  Then it’s back on the train and back to Kappelen.  Great day!

















No comments:

Post a Comment