Tuesday 2 January 2018

Utrecht and Gouda

Today I hop on the tram to Den Haag Centraal and then catch the train to Utrecht.  The train ride is about 40 minutes.  Trains in the Netherlands are awesome.  I have a card that I load with euros and I use it to tap in, tap out on all means of transportation.  I can use it on trams, buses, trains, etc.  Works great except if you miss tapping in or out which I did.  The system sucked up 20 euros for a ride that should have cost 3.50.  When I spoke to them about it they were very pleasant but they are unable to credit it back to my transit card.  The only thing they could do was credit it to my bank account but that has to be a Dutch bank account.  Doesn't work well for tourists....hmmmm..:(

Arriving at the Utrecht Train Station
The canals are always so picturesque
 I can only imagine how beautiful this is in the spring/summer with the trees filled out and people dining along the shore.  I'd love to come back at a different time of year.


The shops in Utrecht are amazing.  The mall that is attached to the train station is never ending with some very nice shops.  Everything you could want.  I do believe that when I ask what there is to see in a town I am directed to where the shopping is...since I am female I think they assume that this is where my interest lies.  I do have to be specific and say I'm looking for history, architecture, etc.  I actually hate shopping :)




So many old shops - this one 1876

Not sure what this is but it looked interesting

A quick snack is always close at hand

This is so good...it's like a bun with raisins and then sprinkled with powder sugar
 Now when you buy one of these lovely snacks you have to check the direction of the wind.  I bought my first one in Den Haag on a very windy day and after I ate it I looked down at my black coat and it was covered with white powdered sugar.  I tried to wipe it off and it just smeared...what a mess!  Dress me up but can't take me anywhere!


A perfect example of the old and the new


The old and the new
 
Then off to Gouda


Tulips of every color

The Town Hall


The Town square

Skating the perimeter of the town hall

Add caption
 
Pedestrian only street - lots of shops



 
The entrance to Sint-Janskerk (St. John's Church)


The stained glass is amazing


Gorgeous - longest church in the Netherlands

 
 
 There are 72 stained glass windows in this church.  During the Second World War these windows were removed and hidden to protect them.  In 1945 after the war ended the windows were put back in the church.  Amazing that they survived!


This is the Café Central recommended by the person at the Visitor's Information
Cheese plate, bread and wine!  Yum!


Wall mural in back of restaurant - discovered and restored after the end of the war.

Such a cozy restaurant and very friendly, helpful staff!

 
It's getting dark and it's time to start for home....I walk back to the train station and hop the train for Den Haag Centraal, then the tram and voila!  I'm home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment