Friday 26 January 2018

Friday, January 26/18

I'm not blogging every day as my days are quite routine.  Walk the dogs in the morning, work remotely for a few hours and then go to town to pick up anything I might need.  Quite relaxing.


This is a sun dial in Linden field where I run the dogs.


As you can see my Wellies are coming in very handy.  The mud is quite slippery...I think it's got a lot of clay in it.  Most of the path is quite good however every now and then I go off the beaten path.



 The Raven Hotel....I have yet to try this pub but before I leave I'll have to treat myself to a pint.



Great fresh fruit and vegetable market not far from where I am staying....some fantastic fresh fish as well.  It's great to shop locally.



Holy Trinity Church.  Magnificent building.




Inside the church there is this memorial to William Penny Brookes who was such an important man in this town.  He was the doctor for years but he also is known for having started the first Olympics.




Some peculiar names on buildings...'Bastard Hall'.


What was the Police Station built in 1864...still bares the name however is now a private home.



The Guildhall.  Originally built in 1540 this was a free standing Court House over the stone medieval prison.  Today the Town Council still meet here once a month.


The Museum - built in 1878 as an open Market Hall then converted to a Memorial Hall after the First World War and later a cinema.  It is  now the Tourist Information office as well as the museum


 The Priory Ruins.  Today all I could see was what appeared over the wall.  It is closed until the weekend so I hope to go back and take a tour.  The Monastery was founded in the 7th century.



 

The field I run the dogs in is called the Linden Field.  While walking to the Windmill I saw this..."Each brain has a hunger to be fed.  This is our common duty.  Plant a seed and watch it grow"


Today Chris has offered to pick me up to go do some shopping in Telford.  It's nice to get out and do something different.  On the way back we go to Ironbridge which I am delighted to see.  This is something I really can't do without a car.  Ironbridge has significant history.  Unfortunately the bridge is covered as they are doing some restoration work on it.  The area is charming. 


 
Here I am in Ironbridge.  Since the bridge is covered and undergoing restoration the best I could do was take a picture of the picture!


Charming town.




Walking across the bridge towards town.


A memorial by the bridge.  Chris and I stop for tea and cake at a local shop and then head back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment