Monday 22 January 2018

Monday, January 22/18

The snow is gone....thank heaven.  I have decided to walk the dogs one at a time as the two together are too much for me as they pull on their leads.  I first take Millie out and with a little work she starts to understand what I mean when I say 'no pull'.  She's doing quite well and eventually we get to the off leash park.  Off she goes.

 
 Up on the hill where the windmill is located.  Great place for her to romp around.
 

This is the ruins of the windmill.  The sun is out and it feels so good up here.  Lovely views.

While walking about I get talking to a woman who is walking her dog.  Her name is Chris.  One thing leads to another and we get talking about the mud and I ask her if there is a place in town I could buy a used pair of "Wellies".  Before I know it we're discussing sizes and she offers to lend me her gardening boots if they fit.  Invites me over for tea and to try the boots on.  "It's the cream colored cottage at the foot of the windmill" Chris says.

I take Millie home and exchange her for Rosie.  Rosie is a little more stubborn with regards to my command for "no pull" but she does start getting it.  Off she goes once we arrive at the park and after a good run we make our way to Chris's cottage.  She has a small dog who is so excited to have Rosie to play with and Chris serves up hot tea and Xmas cake.  So friendly and hospitable.  Chris lives alone as her husband passed last year.  Her cottage is so cozy.  I finally head back home, boots in hand, and drop Rosie off.  Today I plan on picking up a few groceries and go to a few of the stores.  This is such a lovely town.
 

My "new" wellies!  My own boots weren't holding up to well to the mud in the park.



The main square

First stop is the bakery....get a lovely loaf of fresh bread and a shortbread pastry.  Then off to the butcher.  The shop is called A. Ryan and Son, Family Butcher.  They are known all over the country.  The staff are so friendly.  I usually start off by saying I'm new to the area and have never been in their shop.  Gets the conversation going and some help selecting some product.  They have so many delicious pies and quiche available.  I'll come every couple of days and pick a couple of things up.  The fellow helping me told me of one product (pork pie) that he says is best when it just comes out of the oven so if I arrive around 9 a.m. they should still be warm.  I've got that on my calendar.


Pheasants hanging in the meat shop.
 

What a selection of pies, quiches and all sorts of other goodies!

I go to another shop for a lovely chunk of cheese and finish my shopping by stopping at one of the pubs for soup and a pint.  The fire is burning and it's so cozy and welcoming.
 

 This is The Talbot Pub.
 

So cozy.
 

The history of the Talbot Inn.  Very interesting.  Was already an Inn in 1361 and James II stayed here in 1687.
 

Just as I'm finishing my soup I notice a bit of commotion at the table closest to the fire and realize that one of the people at the table is calling for an ambulance.  Turns out his father (who is at the table) has lost consciousness and is unresponsive.  They lay him on the floor of the pub while waiting for the ambulance.  He's conscious now but suffers from Alzheimer's.  His son and wife are with him.  The paramedics arrive and he seems to be stable.  When I leave the ambulance is almost there as I hear the sirens.  I think he will be fine as he's talking and saying he doesn't want to go in the ambulance.  Ah, for the Grace of God go I or any of us!  A little excitement in the little town.  I head off home to keep the dogs company, unpack my groceries and put my tired feet up.


 Carvers Croft...my neighborhood.

 This is my house for now.
 

After all that running around today a little snoozing is a good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment