Monday 8 January 2018

Roaming around town...

For the last couple of days I have decided to just roam around and try to discover some hidden gems that I haven't seen before.
Beautiful day today but cold....the sun is out...blue skies above.
 Body of water by the Binnenhof.
 Swans don't seem to feel the cold.
 Stroopwafles are a must do when in the Netherlands so I stopped at this place to try one...they are a thin waffle spread with caramel syrup to form a thin sandwich....sooooo.....good!  Served fresh and warm.
My Stroopwafle disappeared rather quickly.  I was hard pressed not to hurry back and order another.
I decide to try riding the tram to the end of the line and see what's there.  I went to Zoetermeer and got off at a huge shopping mall.  It's outdoors and includes some great shops.  It went on forever.  Unfortunately shopping isn't my thing but spotted this children's train that runs through the mall.
 Next time I come here I am definitely getting a bicycle...there are so many easy paths to follow...you could bike for miles!
Hopping on all different trams....just seeing where they take me.  Most just take me to residential areas so I decide to head back downtown and talk to Visitor's Information for some ideas on what to see.
I haven't been to the working palace which is called the Paleis Noordeinde. 
 Here is the palace....don't think anyone is at home.
 The street Noordeinde where the palace is located has some very interesting shops on it.  Apparently years ago these used to be the shops that supplied the palace with everything it needed.
 
My last stop of the day is at the Panorama Mesdag.  I accidentally came across it while making my way back to the tram to go home.  It's a museum of the works of Mesdag.
This is a picture of H.W. Mesdag who is the artist who created the Panorama of Schenveningen beach.  He's pictures here with his wife who was also an artist.
 The Panorama is what I came to see...It's amazing...you feel like you're right back in the late 1800's on Scheveningen beach.  Mesdag apparently painted the scenes on glass while standing on a sand dune at the beach.
 It was then transferred on to material in panels...it's so realistic.  You are surrounded with endless scenery of the beach as if you were right there.

 Complete with sand and sound effects.
 I then find the tram home and am looking forward to a glass of wine.  It's been a long but pleasant day.





No comments:

Post a Comment