Friday 5 January 2018

Repeat Visit to Delft

Today I decide to return to Delft as it was such a cute community.  I'm glad I did as I had only seen a very small portion of it.  I got off the tram at a different spot so entered the town at a different point.  There was so much more to see.  I had downloaded an app called GPSmyCity which gives you the high lights of any city you enter with descriptions of those high lights. 

One of the first places I come across is the Old Church "The Oude Kerk".  This is a Gothic Protestant church in the center of Delft.  Founded in 1246 it is indeed old.

When inside the church it felt colder than the outside...I can't imagine attending a service here.  I wouldn't be able to take my mind off the cold.


I then continue on my tour...Delft is so picturesque...can only imagine how beautiful it is in the spring and summer with the trees in leaf and people sitting at outdoor cafes.


This is a fish market dating back to 1300.  What a selection!
So many bridges and canals....everywhere you look it's a Kodak moment...
Don't be fooled by the blue sky...this is the New Church but the picture was taken on my previous visit.

These pictures are of the New Church...or Nieuwe Kerk.  Not really new by today's standards.  The tower was built 1396.  There is a mausoleum here and this is the resting place for William of Orange.


Now it is really raining so I decide to hop on the tram and head back to Scheveningen.  By the time I get back home the rain is letting up and wouldn't you know...the sky clears and the sun comes out...30 minutes before sunset!  Hopefully I will get a couple of sunny days before leaving for England next Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment