Thursday 17 January 2013

Nice is so nice for the day!

Today I actually set my alarm!  Got up early to catch the bus to Nice.  Got into town approx. 10:00 a.m. and found the tourism office which was a great start.  They provided me with a map of the city and some great suggestions of places to go and see.
 Lou Casteu or Castle Hill is considered to be the cradle of the town of Nice.  After a climb up lots of stairs you arrive at the top where there are some amazing ruins.  There is a beautiful park and lots of school children were enjoying outings in the park.

The mosaic tile designs were beautiful.

This is the site of the church that was built on top of this hill.  Archaeological work is still going on.











The view from one of the many lookouts is just spectacular.










This is the view of the port.  I am looking east.

Continued my exploration of the city.  Visiting the market in the old town, riding their great tramway line that takes you from one side of the city to the other.  Had a lovely lunch in an Italian deli where the clerks were so patient with my pigeon French.  Checked out the train station just to make sure I knew where it was and how it worked.  Best way of getting along the coast to see all those other places I hope to visit.  Cannes, Antibes, Monaco just to mention a few!
Headed back to catch the bus.  Back in Vence by 5 pm.  I'm pooped but what a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment