Thursday 24 January 2013

Cagnes sur Mer

Well the last couple of days (the weekend) was extremely wet.  Thought I was back in Vancouver!  Didn't expect this as it was non stop.  Just hunkered down, relaxed and read.

When the clouds finally parted I decided to make my way to a town called Cagnes sur Mer located approximately 30 minutes south from Vence.  This is where the train station is located that I would hop the train to go to several places along the coast.  Better than bus due to traffic.  Just a few of the places I intend to visit are Cannes, Antibes, Eze, Monaco, Ventimiglia, etc.  There are just so many!  After getting off the bus I located the train station and scoped it out.  Seems simple and straight forward.  Got talking to a young man who was going to Cannes and offered to show me the way.  He told me when he graduates in 2 years he is going to go to university in Quebec and he wants to play football.  He was so excited to speak English and talk to someone from Canada.  What a sweetie!



After deciding I've got the system down pat I head off to explore this town.  Quite charming.  I head up the hill to the "Old Town" which again is the walled city at the top of the hill.  Quite the hike but the view is worth it.  You look out over Cagnes sur Mer, Nice and the Mediterranean.  Beautiful.  Decided to take the little bus back down to hook up with my bus back to Vence.  Took a different bus home just to see where it goes and what the difference is between that bus and the other one.  So much to learn!


The view from the top of the hill looking north - see the snow on those hills!  Winter is not that far away!



Heading up the hill towards the top the castle comes into view.  You can just imagine the people and horses using these narrow, cobbled, lane ways hundreds of years ago.  Most of the roads are barely wide enough for a small car.  Riding down in the small bus that picked us up was like being on an amusement ride.  I'm sure he must wear out a set of brakes at least every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment