Sunday 28 August 2016

Sunday biking

Well today I decided to get up early.  Set the alarm for 7 am.  Just about killed me but I was determined to try and beat the heat and get out early.  The plan was to have afternoon siesta but that never happened.  I had breakfast at the hotel as it was included.  Quite an impressive buffet.  Only catch was the coffee machine.  Hadn't used one like that before but finally figured it out.  Love the way the Europeans do hot milk in their coffee.  I'm going to have to do that when I get home.
I then headed off walking and exploring more of the area where my hotel is located.  It's called the Macarena District.  

 I then took the C4 bus which takes me down by the river.  I get off at the Bull Ring and wander around. 


 I find the Cathedral and a couple of other things I want to go back and check out.





  I go to See By Bike for 10:30 and meet Emily my tour guide.


There are just two other people on my tour.  Francesca and Nicola from Italy.





We were told that the significance of the lion and the two balls is that Spain (being the lion) dominates Europe and America (portrayed by the two balls).


 
 I'm really surprised we have such a small group.  Bonus!  We tour on our bikes for 3 hours.  I'm a little shakey at first as I haven't ridden in a while but then get the hang of it.  It's all relatively flat so that makes it easier.  Emily is great at providing information and before you know it we're back and it's 1:30.  I try to find a restaurant that Emily suggested but it's like a maze of little streets.  I finally settle on one and order a cold beer, calamari and something else that I can't remember.  After that I decide to tour the Cathedral as it opens at 2:30.  The line up for tickets takes about 45 minutes in the afternoon sun.  Thank heaven I brought my hat.  I needed it.  And a giant bottle of water.  Once inside I opt for the audio guide.  Waste of money as it's incredibly hard to figure where you are.  Nothing is numbered or named.  I give up and just look around.  Hate to say it....but just another cathedral!


  When I see them all I can see is the wealth that was poured into the churches at a time when people went hungry.  Not good.  Anyhow I decide to walk back via the "short" route.  It would be short if you didn't get lost but after winding my way through a maze of streets I finally get back an hour later.  Almost gave up and took a taxi!
Then as I am a glutton for punishment I want to try finding the restaurant, Perro Viejo that Emily had recommended.  It's a tapas bar.  I head off at 8:30 as that's when the bar opens,  relying on my phone and GPS to get me there and it works!   Took about 15 minutes.  Nice place.  I order cerviche which is really spicy but good and also a chicken teriyaki dish.  Top it off with a tequila drink and it was yummy. 

 
 I GPS'd my way back and there you go!  Bob's your uncle! Tomorrow I'm sleeping in and then it's on the Hop On, Hop Off bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment