Wednesday 19 October 2016

Train trip...

I had heard of a train called Train des Pignes which translated into English means train of pine cones .  I found out that they used pine cones back in the day to fire up the engine and the name stuck.  This train goes inland as opposed to the main train that runs along the coast.  Totally different scenery.


I am headed to a village called Entrevaux which is about half way to Digne-Les-Bains which is the end of the line.  It takes 2.5 hours to reach Entrevaux and it's a beautiful day for the trip.


One of the train stations along the way.  Very quaint.


Great scenery along the way.  The fall colours are just starting to show.


And then we arrive...see the Citadel on the top of the mountain?  That is where I'm headed!


It's a short walk from the station and then you cross the bridge to enter the town.


The main gate.



And up we go.  The path is well maintained however the turnstile you go through looks like it was built the same time as the Citadel!  Very awkward and after losing my 3€ on my attempt to work it I get some assistance to force it open and squeeze through.  If I was any bigger it wouldn't have worked.  Felt like a torture device but I'm through.



The view is amazing.  


I have reached the top.  This is the backside of the Citadel.



There was a prison here.  I'm sure they didn't appreciate the view!


And a chapel.


Gorgeous!  I can't spend too much time as I have to get back to the train station for my train back.


The top!  On top of the world!  I am the only person up here...I guess there are advantages to travelling a bit off season.


And down we go!



You can see the old walled village below, you're mostly seeing the roof tops from here.  I wound my way through the village when I got down there but most shops were closed.  It was like a maze and I had a fear of not finding my way out and missing my train.


And I'm back, whew!  It was a hot, vigorous climb and I think I just have enough time before my train to stop at this bar....


And a well deserved cold one....this went down very quickly.  Delicious....my reward!


This picture really allows you to see the path zig zagging up the mountain to the Citadel.  Back on the train I relax until we arrive back in Nice.  I run to catch the tram and then just make the 400 bus to Vence.  I'm so glad I made the connections.  As it is I don't get home until after 7 pm. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: