Thursday 28 December 2017

Dec. 27th - Scheveningen

Today I stay close to home and walk down Keiserstraat to the beach....it's blowing but the rain is holding off.  The wind off the North Sea is so cold.  The people are hardy here.  They act like it's a walk in the park while I'm trying to keep my teeth from chattering.

There are all sorts of art work along the way...metal sculptures that are so cute. 




I walk past the Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus which sits so majestically on the beach. 


I can't resist taking more pictures of the pier and the ferris wheel. 


I walk all the way to the pier and decide to brave the wind and walk the length of the pier to check out the ferris wheel.  They also have a Budgee Jump on the end.  The ferris wheel is operating. 


It is enclosed....sort of like the London Eye so they can use it year round.  I pass on going on it as they don't post the cost...if it's not posted I can't afford it.

After leaving the pier I check out the Ice Sculptures at Ice Expo. 



10 euro to get in and when I hesitate the woman throws in a hot chocolate (with whipped cream) to seal the deal.  Obviously they are trying to get people to go and after checking it out the best part of the exhibit was the hot chocolate! 

I walk back down the beach and as I get further east the music is getting louder and louder.  I have to see why this music is pumping and all I can see is a mountain of shipping pallets and several young men scurrying over the surface pulling the pallets this way and that. 


I stop and ask someone what is going on and they inform me this is the preparation for New Year's Eve.  They do it every year.  At midnight on December 31st they will light this mountain of wood for a gigantic bon fire!!!  Haven't they heard of air pollution?  No outdoor burning?  Obviously not.  Don't think I'll be attending on New Year's Eve but I'm sure I'll hear it!  They love fireworks/firecrackers here.  Seems to go with Xmas and New Year's.  I thought once I got past Halloween I was safe but not here....stay tuned, more to come!

I then go to find a seafood place that is supposed to be good for take out.  It's not far from the place I'm staying at.  It's called Het Haringhuisje.  Herring is very popular here but I haven't got the nerve to order a plate and try it.  Apparently you hold the herring up by the tail and lower it into your mouth.  The only part you don't eat is the tail.  I stayed safe and ordered fish and chips (boring!).  It was okay but nothing to write home about....wait a minute...aren't I writing home about it???



Before I collapse I stop by the grocery and stock up for the next few days.  Found my favorite Crème Brulee.  Yum!  Just like the ones I used to get in Vence.  Home I go....I'm done for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment