Wednesday 27 December 2017

Boxing Day...

I was told by one local that they didn't have Boxing Day but then today I was told it's just referred to as the day following Christmas.  It's pretty well celebrated as a holiday with most stores and restaurants remaining closed.  The sun is starting to come out and there is blue sky so I am heading out.  Got to take advantage of the sun when it's here.  It's cold though!!  The wind is blowing big time but no one seems deterred by it.

I catch the tram to head to Madurodam.  This is actually a war memorial in memory of a war hero and resistance fighter George Maduro.  He died in 1945 in a concentration camp after being captured by the Germans.  The Madurodam is a park based on true Dutch stories that are related through miniatures.  It's amazing and a great place for kids as they can interact and learn.  Santa was there too!


These miniatures are so life like

This Santa was so friendly!
After viewing the park I hop back on the tram and go to the beach.  I want to take advantage of the sun and blue sky.  It's freezing and blowing like crazy.  I check out the Grand Hotel Amrath Kurhaus which is right on the beach.  It's a beautiful building.  I then get blown along the beach to the pier complete with ferris wheel.  They also have a slide set up that kids can ride down the icy surface on inner tubes. 

Kids sliding on inner tubes
The pier is enclosed and houses several shops and places to eat.  It's so busy that I decide to leave and catch the tram to Delft before the day ends.

It takes about 30 minutes to get to the historic center of Delft.  It's really quite beautiful with all the canals and old buildings. 

Canals are so picturesque!
The main square in Delft
 

Fantastic cheese shops

I wander around and decide to go into a pub for a mulled wine and bowl of soup.  It's nice to get out of the wind and I think I will return on another day to take my time wandering some of these quaint streets.  Back on the tram and I'm back home.  Snug as a bug.



No comments:

Post a Comment