Tuesday 19 December 2017

Best plans sometimes go sideways!

Well I was so organized this morning.  My son, Paul drove me to the airport and I was an hour early.  Wow!  Perfect!  However it started to snow....kind of unusual for Vancouver especially out in Richmond but heh!  It's only a little bit and surely they can fly in this??


 Well, I'm just going through security and having a leisurely coffee when the security person says "Your flight's been cancelled".  I thought she was joking (not that a security person would be joking).
So she says bundle up your things and go back to WestJet.  I scurry back to WestJet to find this on the departure board....


Notice the 12:00 flight to Calgary....cancelled.  And by this time there is a huge line waiting for a WestJet agent to rebook you.  As I'm trying to get organized I realize I have left my laptop in the security area as it was between two trays and I was so flustered by what was happening!  Gave up my place in line to run back to security....thank heaven it was still there!!!  Whew!!!


While waiting in line for 3 hours (yes! 3 hours) I try phoning FlightNetwork who I booked through for assistance....I'm told read the fine print...if the airline cancels the flight within 24 hours it is their responsibility to rebook you....sorry....good bye!


I then try to call WestJet...takes me 15 minutes but I do get a very nice agent who is willing to help but then she discovers that I have checked my bag....she can't do anything since I have checked my bag....I just have to wait and talk to an agent....she says she will send me positive energy though!  I need all the help I can get.  Continue to wait in line.  Interesting talking to other people in line...most people are pretty patient and polite....well Heck.....WE ARE CANADIAN, EH?

I finally get to the WestJet clerk and she is very nice but the best she can do is book me on the same flights tomorrow...I'm a little nervous about this though as it might snow more but it's my only option.  Now should I go back to White Rock?  What if it snows and it's impossible to get back to the airport?  I decide to get a hotel in downtown Vancouver because I can take the Canada Line direct from the airport and return in the morning.  Of course I don't have my suitcase as they say they are redirecting my bag for my new flight tomorrow....yikes!...let's lay bets on whether it arrives in Amsterdam when I do!!

I check in to the Burrard Hotel...not bad but I had to walk about 8 blocks in the pouring rain (of course it's rain now, not snow) in my Sketcher shoes because my boots are in my suitcase!  I can wring them out now but hopefully they will be dry by morning.  I get a free toothbrush from the desk because all my toiletries are in my suitcase....I did bring my contact stuff with me though...thank heaven for small mercies. 

The up side to all this?  I get to see the Xmas lights on St. Paul's Hospital right across the street.


I also met an interesting man trying to fly to Amsterdam as well on his way to Kuwait...he was pretty upset but we ran into each other after getting rebooked and he bought me a beer (to cry into) and a burger then went on his way.  He was given a flight to Toronto at 5 pm and then he was going to spend all the next day in the airport in Toronto until his flight left for Amsterdam that evening.  Red eye to Amsterdam.  He will arrive in Amsterdam about 30 minutes before I do.  If I get out tomorrow it will be worth it as I will have a good sleep at my hotel in Vancouver....oh yeah...did I mention they included dinner?

 
Instead I went two doors down to a wonderful little restaurant and had some comfort food.  Just what I needed.
 
 
Stayed tuned for more....hopefully from Amsterdam!!



No comments:

Post a Comment