Wednesday 27 December 2017

Christmas Eve


I caught the tram downtown to the Central stop as I want to tour the Binnenhof and the Knight's Hall. This is the place where the most important events in the nation's history took place.  I walk through the front entrance and all around but can't find an entrance.  I speak to a couple of men that are supplying information and am told that I need to go to another building and sign up for a tour.  After doing this I have some time to kill so I go to the Mauritshuis Museum.  This is the museum that houses Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring".  I had seen this painting in several places so had to see it at the museum.  This was a great museum and I really enjoyed it.

The Mauritshuis Museum



View from window in museum


This painting is quite famous. The Girl With The Pearl Earring

I then on my tour of the Binnenhof at 2 p.m. 


The Inner Court Yard

The Knight's Hall


Inside the Knight's Hall

We climbed up the tower in the Knight's Hall which was originally built as a hunting lodge.  A lot of history here.  The whole complex has had additions and renovations done over the years to create what it is today.  We then went into where the House of Representatives to see where all the politics go on.  I then walked about .5 km and came across the Christmas Market! 






I was so glad I found it.  It was huge and really nicely done.  I stopped for some hot mulled wine and then left.  I was pretty tired at this point.  It was a good day.  Took the tram home.

December 24/17
Went walking down at the beach.  Today there is a strong, cold wind blowing.  These people are so hardy.  Everyone just looks like they're out for a Sunday stroll...joggers in shorts!  A woman riding her bike in a short skirt and kids running around like it's a summer day.  No one seems to put the hood of their coat up.  I did for a while to keep the wind out and then felt like a jam tart so put it back down again.
Found the restaurant/seafood shop called Simonis.  Wow!  What a find.  Really popular and especially on Xmas eve with everyone picking up great seafood for their dinners.  Lobster, king crab, fish, etc.  Wonderful!  I decide to have something to eat so go over to the restaurant part and order a bowl of lobster soup.  So good....and such a large bowl for 6.5 euros.  I could barely finish it.  I then bought some clams and a shrimp quiche for dinner later.


Outside Simonis Restaurant


Lobster Soup


What a spread!


Stopped at the local supermarket and bought some garlic for my clams and headed home.
Cooked up my clams with lots of butter and garlic.  Yum!  Then decided since it was Christmas Eve I had to do something so caught the tram back in to town and went to a Christmas celebration at the theatre by the Christmas market.  It was supposed to be non denominational and we sang Christmas carols.  Wasn't really my thing but I did meet a couple from Vancouver who had just moved to Den Haag!  I left as soon as it was over and got home around 10 p.m.

Dec. 25/17
Merry Xmas to me.  Had a very relaxing morning watching old movies (on a rare English channel) in my PJ's until around noon.  Finally decided I'd better get some fresh air and exercise so thought I'd check out an area called Frederik Hendriklaan.  It's about a 20 minute walk and when I arrive there it's such a pretty street and neighbourhood.  Lots of great shops but of course it's all closed since it's Christmas day.




I walk along the water on the way back and decide that I'll visit the shopping street again when it's open.  Tonight I Face Time with family.  Christmas is over and now it's the New Year drawing near.











No comments:

Post a Comment