Thursday 30 August 2018

Up the river..

On Wednesday I take the bus into Poole and walk through the Old Town to the Quay.  I have a ticket to go by boat through the Poole Harbour, up the River Fromme to the old Saxon town of Wareham.  I pick up a coffee and relax, waiting to board.



And we’re off!









This is the ship, Shieldhall that I will be going out on  for the day on Friday.  Watching the Bournemouth Air Show.


As we travel along the coast there is very expensive real estate.  They actually have beach shacks that have sold for £40,000!  Basically a shed on the beach used for changing and storing your beach paraphernalia!


Nearing the mouth of the River Fromme.


As we manoeuvre our way up this winding river there are several boats moored along its banks.  It’s much cheaper to moor your boat here rather than the harbour.


Arriving in Wareham.  You can see Lady St. Mary Church on the left.




The Lady St. Mary church.


This font is octagonal in shape and apparently the only one of its kind in existence.  The bowl is dated about 1100 and the stone base about a century later.




Lovely old buildings.


I then arrive in the town of Corte.  The famous Corte Castle ruins are straight ahead.


Gorgeous quaint properties.  I pass this place on my way to the castle.


Wow!  Built by William the Conqueror 11th century.


Amazing views from the castle walls over the land.


They were doing a re-enactment camp which was interactive for the kids.  They were having a terrific time.




You can just imagine how impressive this was back in it’s day....people bustling all about!




Leaving Corte headed for the bus stop.


Back in Poole where I started in the morning, I finish the day with a cool pint by the sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment