Saturday 18 August 2018

Day at Bradford on Avon

Today I started by taking the dogs for a run in the morning as I am catching the train around 11:30 and plan to be gone for most of the day.  Just before I leave for the train I check the schedule and it looks like my train might not be stopping at Bradford on Avon due to staffing issues!  I decide to go to the platform anyhow to see what alternatives there are.  When the train arrives it seems that the problem has been solved and I am good to go.  I arrive at Bradford on Avon around noon.







It’s a short walk into town.  This town is so old and entirely made of stone.  The Romans, Saxons, Norman’s, Georgians and Victorians have all left their mark.  The jewel of Wiltshire.





The River Avon runs through town.



Very picturesque!



The Saxon Church



This short street is called The Shambles.  It was the only street that had timber framed houses.



Incredibly old!



So pretty.  This bridge was originally built in the 13th century.  The small building on the bridge was first used as a chapel and later the town lock up. 



Trinity Church



The Rolls parked outside Trinity Church.  There was a wedding taking place when I went by so no luck with seeing inside the church.  What a beautiful car!  I saw the bride earlier when they drove through town to the church.



I follow a path at the end of Church Street that takes me to St. Mary Tory where they say you can see the whole town.



And yes you can.  The hike up was worth it as the view is quite something. 



Look at this house...the roof was what drew my attention.  It’s amazing how old everything is but still seems to be working!



And this old building looks like it’s about to cave in but it will probably be here for hundreds of years.



I then went to a Spanish coffee shop...ordered a nice cold beer and Queso EspaƱol.  I felt like it was meant to be as I have just secured two more housesits in Spain!



There was a celebration going on right in front of my table.  Time to leave and catch my train home.
Ran in to a snag on the way home too.  When I got to Westbury I had to transfer to another train that would drop me in Dilton Marsh but that train was not going anywhere as they were short a conductor.  The fellows at the train station were so nice.  I was invited into the control station (looked like air traffic control but on the rails) and told they would call a taxi for me. And pay for it!  What service.!  The fellow took me downstairs and waited for the taxi.  I was driven home!  Saved me £10. Such nice men these railway guys!
Since I was home earlier than anticipated I took the dogs for another walk and then made dinner.  End of another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment