Tuesday 21 August 2018

A little more of Salisbury and then on to Bath

It seems that I have a maximum number of photos I can post in one blog so I’ve added a few more photos of Salisbury continuing from my previous post.





A beautiful period home. I didn’t go inside...didn’t want to spend the $.  Just sat outside enjoying the park.





And the same with this home...the Prime Minister lived there once...I just wasn’t that interested on the insides.  These two homes were located very close to the cathedral.



This is the Salisbury Museum



And the following day (Tuesday) I take the train to Bath.  This is the train station.  Now because I have been to Bath before I decide to do the Hop On Hop Off bus so that I might see different things.  



I start with the Skyline tour which is mostly outside of the centre.  It’s about 6 miles and takes you to the Holburne Museum then up to the University of Bath and then Prior Park Landscape Garden.  Today was overcast with a fine drizzle so not the best day to stroll the garden however if I was staying in Bath I would definitely do this.  Jane Austen lived in Bath as well.   Perhaps next housesit?





This woman was singing opera in front of the Abby.  Quite beautiful.



I hop on the other line which tours the city.  One historic street called The Circus I would like to revisit.  These were townhomes constructed in 1754 in a crescent and the columns between each floor were done in three different styles.  Obviously for the very wealthy.  Some townhomes were constructed in the 1700’s to house the workers who worked the quarries.  They’re still housing people today.  There’s a lot to be said about constructing in stone.



A boat on the canal.  Somehow today I’m just not in the mood. After I finish both routes on the tour bus I head back to Dilton Marsh.  Pretty sad when I’m in a beautiful city like Bath and don’t feel like exploring!



But then look what’s waiting for me!  Tilly says “time for a walk!”



While I’m walking the dog I can see the White Horse on the hillside in the distance.  This is about 10 miles away above the town of Westbury.  Created in 1778 on the edge of the Salisbury Plain it is carved into the chalk.  They say that there was possibly another horse beneath this one that goes back to Norman times.  During WWII it had to be covered as it provided a very clear navigational tool for the enemy.



Sarah and Vaughan are a couple I met while in India.  They live in the UK, drove down, picked me up and we went to a pub for dinner.  It was so good to see them! We hope to meet again in Winchester.  



No comments:

Post a Comment