Saturday 9 February 2013

Cimiez

Well today I made a trip into Nice as I wanted to explore this area called Cimiez.  It is a hilltop neighborhood  in Nice which was the original Roman settlement called Cemenelum and has some quite incredible Roman ruins.  Today this is a very luxurious area with some pretty impressive villas.


This was an old Roman arena and is now used for the annual jazz festival..


This area flourished between the 1st and 5th centuries.



They also had huge Roman thermes or baths.










Musee Matisse - To tell you the truth I am more impressed with this building than I am with the artist.  The villa was built in the 17th century.  The city purchased it and turned it into the museum but can you imagine this as a home back in the day!!!


Monastere de Cimiez


The gardens of the monastery -  unfortunately it's a little early in the year for much to be in bloom but I'm sure later in the year this would be spectacular.  Even so it was beautiful to just sit in the sun, enjoy the view and listen to the birds.


This is the view from the gardens.  The Mediterranean is in the distance and you are looking down on Nice.











I walked back to the town instead of the bus to enjoy some of these beautiful villas.  I was more than ready to relax on the bus for the one hour trip back to Vence.

No comments:

Post a Comment