Friday 14 February 2014

Colonia Suiza

Yesterday I caught the bus to Colonia Suiza, an early Swiss colony approx. 25 kms. out of central Bariloche.  While waiting for the bus I overheard a couple speaking English so I started up a conversation.  They were from Ottawa and were waiting for the bus to go to Catedral for a five day trek.  Sounded amazing and this is where I feel jealous.  This is the type of thing that would be so amazing but not as a single traveller my age.  I think I have missed the boat on this one...perhaps in my next life time!
I board my bus which takes about an hour to reach Colonia Suiza.  As I disembark I think to myself "where is this cute little Swiss village.".  Somehow I have pictured a town like Leavenworth....cute little Swiss chalets....not so.  I walk for about 15 mins. down a dusty road and then I glimpse the first of many little artisan's shops, restaurants, hostels.


I browse a few of the shops and buy a couple of cute bracelets.  I visit some gardens as things here seem to grow very well.  Raspberries seem to be a main product however are finished for the season.  I find a cute little place to eat and treat myself to the special, limon troucha.  Trout cooked with a light, lemon cream sauce.  Served with pan fried potatoes and salad.  I order a local crevasse (beer) to finish it off.  Delicious.  Desert is included (home baked apple pie) however I am trying to catch the 3 pm bus back to Bariloche as I am unsure when the next bus will be so I take the pie to go.



No bus, I have missed it (if there was one at all) so try to find when the next bus will be.  There is a microbrewery by the bus stop so I ask the fellow there.  He says there might be a bus at 4 pm but maybe not.  If not then, perhaps at 6 pm?  After all this is South America he says, he shrugs and smiles apologetically.  What to do?  Settle in to wait.


The bus comes at 4 pm and I head back to my apartment.  Today is cloudy....first day that it hasn't been bright blue skies.  The mountains across the lake take on a different dimension.


I am thinking perhaps I will take a bath tonight....I have another look at this tub.....mmmmm...definitely not made for someone as tall as I am.  I cannot even straighten my legs out let alone lay down.


No comments:

Post a Comment