Tuesday 28 August 2018

My housesit in Poole

Mary and I were planning on taking the bus down to Newport as the taxi company was unreliable but then we got a call from the taxi company and they said they would have a cab there in 20 minutes.  We decide to go with that because pulling my suitcase down the road would not be easy as the pavement was quite broken.  I arrive early at the ferry terminal and it’s not busy.  Only takes 25 minutes on the fast ferry and then I am in Southampton waiting to catch the train to Bournemouth. 



Crossing on the ferry from West Cowes, Isle of Wight to Southampton.





Arriving at the train station at Bournemouth.  Waiting for Sheila to pick me up.



This is my new home for the next ten days.  It’s lovely and Sheila is so welcoming.  Flora and Fleur (the two cats I am keeping company) are shy but I hope they will warm up to me.



The next morning Sheila is picked up by cab to head off on her vacation to Ireland.  I start exploring by going to a local coffee shop for a cup and a scone with clotted cream.  Really....the clotted cream is bigger than the scone! Yum!





I catch the number 5 bus in to Poole.  Takes me to the bus station so I can go to Tourist Information and figure out what I’m going to do for the next 10 days.  So much choice!



I walk through a large shopping centre and when I come out the other side I find the train station and also the beginning of Old Poole.  Lovely old buildings and pedestrian only streets.



I find this in the Poole Museum.  The women working there were very helpful.



Down on the Quay there is lots of history and several choices of boat tours to see this gorgeous coast.  



This ship is called the Shieldhall from Glasgow which is Britain’s largest working steamship.  She just happens to be on display but is also offering to take people out for the day to watch The Bournemouth Air Show over the next few days.  I get a ticket to go on Friday.  The weather is supposed to be good so I think this will be a unique experience to see the show from the water.





I tour the engine room.





I talk to a couple of the crew about bringing up the anchor.  They are so informative and obviously love what they do.



The view from the bridge.





















No comments:

Post a Comment