Friday 17 August 2018

A trip to Frome

On Thursday I woke to rain.  This was in the forecast so not a surprise.  Leisurely morning and then when the rain stopped I ventured out.  My intention was to catch the bus to a village called Frome but when the bus arrived the driver stated he wasn’t going to go to Frome but in an hour he would be back and would go to Frome then?  Go figure.  I decide to postpone the trip until Friday and start early in the day.  I head back home to take the dogs for a run.



These guys are in the field across from the house.



On Friday I start my journey in the direction of Westbury.  Frome is on a different line.



I change trains at Westbury.



And arrive at Frome a short time later.  All in all it takes approx. half hour.



Frome was a centre for the cloth industry.  It was particularly famous for a blue fabric which was used for the uniforms of Napoleon’s Army.



Quite the display of hanging baskets on this hotel.



Market Place in the heart of town 



I start at the Black Swan where there is a visitor’s centre, cafe and art shop.  I get some information of the history and a map to follow.  After a coffee and a magnificent piece of cake I head off to discover the town.



This building was originally used for cattle auctions.



The river Frome runs through town.



Beautiful walks through the trees along the river.



One of the oldest public houses the Blue Boar.



Church of St. John





Just love the doors!



This is called Cheap Street.  Lots of shops but notice the break in the pavement under the sandwich signs?  This is what is referred to as a stream...there is fresh water running down this “ditch”.  I’m sure back in the day you dumped your waste in this opening and it was washed down to the river.



Catherine’s Hill.  More lovely shops.  Getting quite the work out walking through this town.




Cockey lamp post.  In the late 17th century a bell foundry was set up and this firm lasted 300 years.  In the early 19th century they branched into cast iron and were one of the leading producers of gas lamps.  This is an example of one of the lamps produced.


Christ Church



Currently the School of Dancing which was built in 1857 as the town’s police station



Trinity Church which was built in 1838 after Trinity Street was built between 1718 and 1722 to house the exploding population.  It was my last stop before heading back to Dilton Marsh.  Stopped at Mark’s and Spencer’s (love that store) for coffee (tired of drinking instant) and creme brûlée which is my favourite whenever in Europe.  After climbing all those hills I’m hoping I can accommodate a few calories!






No comments:

Post a Comment