Tuesday 30 August 2016

Monday in Seville

Today I will use my Hop On Hop Off pass to get around.  I get on the bus in Macarena which is my neighbourhood. 
 My first stop is the bus station to purchase my ticket to go to Lagos, Portugal on Thursday.  It's about a 4 hour ride but there isn't a train that connects between the two countries.
I then walk further in to the old district and decide to see the bull ring.  This structure is one of the oldest in the world.  I go for a tour.  The building is spotless.  There aren't any bull fights in August as it is too hot (not that I have any intention of going).  I learned that bull fighting started as part of training for soldiers.  They chose the bull as they felt it was the strongest animal in the world.  Poor Bulls!
 
I then head to Starbucks for an iced latte.  Couldn't resist.  It's around 40 degrees by noon and the perspiration is running freely.  I know, too much information.  Today there is a breeze so it's okay and I think I'm getting used to it.  I decide to tour Alcazar which is a royal palace.  I have seen the Alhambra in Granada and this is similar however a bit smaller.  The gardens are beautiful.
  I have arranged to attend a concert in the garden on Tuesday evening.  This is something offered during the summer months and they say that with the lighting in the gardens it is a magical event.  Looking forward to it.
I then find a small restaurant where I sit outside and enjoy a cold beer and a couple of tapas.  This will be dinner.
 
I'm tired so it's time to hop the bus and go back to my hotel to clean up.  After a couple of hours I head out to catch the bus again.  It's 8:30 and sort of a bit cooler.  I get off at a stop not far from my hotel as I've been told of a place that has the best ice cream in Seville.  I find it a challenge to find a particular place in this land of winding, narrow streets.  I find it and have some lemon ice cream but also chocolate/orange ice cream.  Should have said small cup but no....I say medium and of course have to eat the whole thing! Oink!
This structure is referred as the 'mushroom' due to its shape.  It's a large structure that provides shade to a large area.  It's quite a landmark.
 
 
I wait quite a while for the next bus but want to go the route at night to see all the lights.  It's very beautiful.  I arrive back at 11:00 pm.  This city is very safe.  I don't worry at all.  I treat myself to a cold glass of Vino Blanc and sit in the courtyard.  It's off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment