Saturday 20 August 2016

First day in Madrid...

I started off with a coffee and some fruit at the roof top lounge at my hotel.  Is this ever a nice feature to have.  The hotel is great.  Very comfortable.

Lounge with a view.
Big bowl of fruit available.  How nice is that in the morning?
Then I hit the road to get my bearings.  The first place I went was Puerta del Sol which is one of the main plazas.
This statue of a bear is a meeting place at the Puerta del Sol.  It is very symbolic for Madrid.
Then I headed down to the area where the museums are located.  Retiro Park is in this area as well and is a huge green space..

Complete with a lake where you can go for a row.  It was almost 40 degrees today so I was just going from shade to shade.  Must have been so hot out on the water.
This sign proves how hot it was...maybe not 42 but pretty darned close!
I joined a walking tour for 3 hours in the morning and got a very good introduction to the city. 
Plaza Mayor
The Palace
Changing of the guard.

Santa Maria Cathedral
Then a few of us from the walking tour went for lunch.
Sangria and paella to start.  Was tasty just not pretty!
Then back up Calle Fuencarral which has a lot of nice shops on it to my hotel.

It's hard to be vegetarian here.  Not a lot of choices.  Meat is big! 
 I picked up a cold beer and came back to sit on the deck and blog.  I don't think I have the energy to go for dinner so it's nuts, beer and an early night!  I got a ticket for the Prado Museum online so I will do that tomorrow morning.  The lines are horrendous so getting the ticket ahead of time should help..

No comments:

Post a Comment