Friday 27 December 2013

Getting settled in Buenos Aires

Well after leaving the airport my experience was the taxi driver from hell.  He did get me to my destination but I didn't think we would make it as his car kept dying.  He ground the gears like there was no tomorrow and driving at speeds up to 120 k wiggled his way between the lanes of traffic.  There happened to be a protest happening (not sure what about) but some of the roadways were blocked so it took longer than usual to get to my destination.  Cost was $43 US which wasn't bad and I felt so sorry for him so I tipped him $5.  As he left me at the curb there was no sign of Fabian who was my contact.  Spotting a buzzer of some sort I pressed it not really expecting anything and then voila!  Fabian appears!  Nice young fellow who shows me the apartment.  I shower and get a wee bit settled then figure I have to eat supper.  It's already after 8 pm and I must be running on adrenaline.  Gathering all my courage I head off down the street.  On the corner there is a bonfire with many police.  This is part of the demonstration so I ignore it and head down the block to the restaurant that my new landlord has recommended.  I find Le Brigada which is a pretty upscale restaurant and get the pathetic table for one.  After ordering steak, salad and red wine I hear someone speaking English behind me and venture to strike up a conversation.  End of story they invite me to join them and what a lovely family they are.  They are also from Toronto and were on my same flight.  Michael, Jen and their daughter Townes were so nice.   They produce advertisements and travel all over.  They have lived in Buenos Aires in the past so had great tips for me.   Dinner cost me $32 US and it was worth it.  Well it's 11:10 pm and I can't imagine what time that would be back home so I'd better turn in.  I want to spend a full day of sightseeing tomorrow as I have to leave for the ranch the following day.  Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment