Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Hanoi Hilton

Marlene and I went and saw the famous "Hanoi Hilton" and I don't mean the hotel. This is a famous prison called Maison Central that housed American pilots that were shot down in Vietnam during the second world war and before that prisoners of the revolution.  Pretty grim accommodation but interesting.

We usually head to the lake in the morning which is only a ten minute crazy walk from our hotel. From there we can walk to lots of interesting things to see.  Our hotel is located in the old quarter and you live on the edge when crossing the street.


 Really no rules.  Just walk slowly, make eye contact and the motorbikes and cars will go around you!  Pretty big leap of faith!
Today we went to see the museum of Ethnology which was really interesting.  There are 65 provinces in Vietnam with 54 different ethnic groups.. How diverse!  Tomorrow we head off to an area where we will meet one of these ethnic groups.
Today we went with our tour guide Ban to the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, where he lived and worked.  We also saw the Presidential Palace.  I've seen several pagodas and temples already. Yesterday we went outside of Hanoi to a place called the Perfume Pagoda. Most famous Pagoda in all of Vietnam. Took a gondola part of the way up the mountain and then we hiked back down. That was quite a trek and my knees are still telling me about it!
Went to the Water Puppet Show this evening.  I actually think its over rated.  Picked up a couple of beers and had pizza in the hotel room cause we're knackered.
Going to talk to my travel agent's boss tomorrow as he has an I Pad and seems to understand my problem with posting pictures and thought he might be able to help. I hope so.



No comments:

Post a Comment