Thursday 3 May 2018

Back in Delhi

After our last over night train we arrive back in Delhi.  Somehow it seems anti-climatic.  I think we're all starting to think about where we are going after we leave Delhi.  Some are continuing with their travels while some of us are heading home.  Since I have been gone since Dec. 19th I am ready to head back.

It is Holy Festival and this is the day of the colours.  Everyone will be throwing colours on everyone and anyone that ventures in to the streets.  Anjali advises that we should not go out.  They are going to be hosting a party at our hotel in the rooftop restaurant for people that are travelling with Intrepid.  They are coming from other hotels and will celebrate here.  Our group discusses this option but we feel it won't be the true Holy Festival.  It will just be a bunch of tourists partying amongst themselves.  We feel that if we go out early in the day we shouldn't get in to any trouble.


I think that we have actually gone out too early because there's not much happening at all.  We get a few water balloons thrown at us, water guns from rooftops and lots of powder colors smeared on our faces and everywhere else.



Danita
 


Vaughan and Sarah


Some of the supplies that you can purchase on the street.


Vaughan is such a character!  So much fun!


Connor making a big purchase...I think it was spray paint!


Local law enforcement was happy to pose for a picture but definitely no colours thrown on them!


It's a lot of fun...wishing everyone Happy Holy.  Eventually we are sated and we decide to head back to the hotel and clean up.  What a mess!!

We want to venture out to do a little last minute shopping but it's tricky because people are still trying to get you with the colours.  I have to buy a small suitcase to put some of my stuff in.  I manage to pick one up for 300 rupees ($6) and head back to pack and get ready to head home.  Cathryn, Leanne and I all go in one car at 11 p.m.  My flight doesn't go until 3:15 a.m.


Pauline and I dressed in our new India outfits

Cathryn and Leanne are waiting at the gate across the hall from me and Cathryn comes over to tell me that she heard that they don't announce overhead when your flight is boarding and she has noticed that sure enough my flight has started to board and I didn't even notice.  Wouldn't be funny if I missed my flight while sitting right there!  Weird. 

We land in Amsterdam at Schiphol Airport.  I have a five hour layover here and the first thing I want to do is buy licorice!  It's the best.  I do a little shopping and then decide to visit the KLM Premium Lounge.  I'm pretty sure it's just for Business Class and I am just flying economy but thought I might be able to pay to go in.  On the way there I notice a man on his own heading to the lounge and I strike up a conversation with him about the lounge.  He offers to bring me in as his guest!  How nice is that?  But when he goes to check in we are told that it is extremely busy at this time and guests are not able to come in until later.  The lady gives me a 15 euro gift card to Starbucks and tells me to come back later.  I say goodbye to my nice fellow and go to Starbucks. 


15 Euros gets me enough for breakfast.  Sweet!

I wander around and then return to the lounge at 10:30 and since I've been preapproved I go in to the lounge no problem.  It's great.  So comfortable.  Lots of food.  Anything you could ask for and it's all complimentary.  There is also a self serve bar with wine and hard liquor.  Just help yourself.



I try not to overdo it.  I have a nice hot lunch and then finish it off with a glass of wine and a sweet.  Half hour before I have to be at the gate I leave the lounge fed and refreshed.


My expression says it all!  Smug and satisfied that I was able to enjoy the lounge.  I really was meant to fly first class...my budget just doesn't support it!

I board the flight and I'll be home in a few hours.  What an adventure!  Until the next one......

 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment