Sunday 8 April 2018

Our time in Jaisalmer and the Thar Desert

 
The train station in Jaisalmer.
 

After our 19 hour overnight train ride we are picked up by jeep and transported to the fort in Jaisalmer...what an amazing sight.


On the way to the fort we spot some heavily loaded vehicles.


 and colorful saris!
 

Walking the narrow lanes through the fort to our hotel (Deepak) where we dropped our bags and quickly left for our expedition into the Thar desert.


All aboard!  Here is Vaughan on his camel...we rode for 1.5 hours to our overnight 'oasis'!


 All aboard!


And we're off!


 
Ooooo....what's that huge shopping bag?  That's my overnight gear!


And the sun goes down! 
  

A cup of Masala chai in the evening!
 
 
Our cots are all lined up and ready with some serious bedding...it's going to be cold through the night.  We're out in the open, under the stars.   Just a wind break and a shelter for our bags.
 

Our guides prepare a great dinner for us.
 
Our group testing out the beds...not long until night time!
 
 
The only structure here is where they store supplies and our belongings overnight.
 

We had a fire at night for a short time.  We were told the heat attracts scorpions so I had no problem with them putting it out when it came time!
 

Sunrise!  We survived the night!


 The birds love resting on the camels and the camels don't seem to mind.

 

Vast expanses of sand...Diana and Alanna enjoying the solitude. 


And then we head out to meet the jeeps that will take us back to Jaisalmer.




On the way back from the desert we stop at Kuldhara abandoned village.  It was deserted over night due to a dispute between the classes.  Reminded me a bit of Pompeii on a smaller scale.
 
 


These are the only residents now!



 
It's hard to imagine this village bustling with life one day and then nothing the next day.  I wonder where they all went?
 

We continue on to Jaisalmer and check in to the Deepak hotel.  View of Jaisalmer from our room.


We freshen up and meet our local guide for a walk and introduction to the town.  Our hotel is actually within the walls of the Fort so we head down the narrow lanes and out of the Fort.


We stop by the temple...there are actually three.




We check out the inside. 

 
 
 
This fellow, who I took to be a holy man, said I could take his picture when I asked out of respect.  He then demanded money!  Arghh!
 
 


It's not necessary to cover our heads but knees and shoulders must be covered...it's more of a respect thing.



We then head to one of the two restaurants that our guide Anjali has recommended.  Vegetarian and very good.


Killa Corner?  Didn't sound appetizing but turned out just fine.


I have Lassi...this is a very common drink in India.  It's like yogurt and comes in different flavours.  I think this one was chocolate banana.


 
Our guide takes us to the Co-op where they sell a variety of things.  A lot of wall hangings, duvet covers, scarves, etc. 


I buy a duvet cover which (according to the salesman) is made by the local women using pieces of silk sari.  I justify the purchase as I am helping the local women??  I also love the colours.  They will ship back to my hotel in Delhi so I can just pick it up there and then home.  Now whenever I crawl under the covers I am reminded of my trip to India!


As we're wandering the streets I came across this young girl in a window posing for pictures.  I just thought she was gorgeous!







We then head down to the lake...wanting a little cooler air and to get away from the constant chaos with traffic and noise.


Awwww....a little bit of peace!



This looks like a very interesting instrument and the music was lovely...I'm just not in the market!
 
 
 

Back at the hotel we relax on the roof top terrace....what a view!


The fort is illuminated at night and looked very impressive!


A cool G&T...the tonic is Indian!!

 
We have our own entertainment!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment